Sunday, February 13, 2011

Cajun French Language Dictionary



Cajun French is different from the language spoke in France. Acadians migrated from France over 300 years ago. Just as Americans speak English differently after being separated from England for hundreds of years, the same is true of the Acadians. Here is a few of my favorite Cajun phrases:

Bon Appetite! Enjoy!


Bonjour Mes Amis Good day my friends.


Ca c'est bon That's good!


C'est magnifique That is great!


Faire des commissions buy groceries, making grocery bill


Fais do do   Traditional Cajun dance or party


Lagniappe  An unexpected nice surprise.


Laissez les bon temps roulet  Let the good times roll!


Mamere Maw maw or Grandma


Merci Beaucoup Thank you very much.


Mon cher My dear.


Mouche a mielle Honey bee


Parran Godfather

Click Here for the complete list: Sugie Bee's Cajun French Language Dictionary

5 comments:

  1. I've tried and tried (via google) to find the translation for the goldenrod flowers my granny said would make us wet the bed if we picked them. My sister said I was crazy but I knew what granny said. I found it on your site. Piss-au-lis will forever be in my vocabulary. Thank you so much for you blog. My gg grandfather was a milkman also in the late 1800's. His route was near City Park and up Banks street.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone should improve their native language and people should take various courses for improving their language. French learner can improve their language skill by taking Language course, learning French grammar and vocabulary books , dictionary etc . In this way they can learn wonderful French language .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Need to know how to say FOOD in cajun french. Ur help is greatly appreciate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sugie,

    How would you spell the word "Whitetrash" in Cajun?
    I met someone from Louisiana that said there email address was padoux_xx@xxxxx.com (padoux meaning whitetrash). I sent them an email but it does not work. So I'm thinking I may have the spelling wrong since it was a given to me in a verbal conversation an not written.

    Thank you

    Matt - Fl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Girl Scouts are doing a Mardi Gras themed cookie booth and would like to have a banner that says "Let the cookie times roll!" would "Laissez les temps de biscuits roulent!" be correct?

    ReplyDelete